Creating a relaxing and luxurious master bedroom is a great way to attract potential buyers and help you get top dollar for your home. This is the one room (besides the kitchen and master bathroom) that can make or break a home sale. Buyers today are looking for big luxurious spaces that convey serenity and relaxation.
One of challenges I was facing when getting my client’s home ready to sell was to take the master bedroom from cozy to glamorous.
My client’s master bedroom was a decent size, but the three dark dressers in the room left it feeling cramped and small.
To create a luxurious and serene master bedroom I implemented several inexpensive strategies. First, we removed two of the dressers and left one across from the foot of the bed. The dark curtains were swapped out for light and airy white curtains. The busy bedspread was flipped over to a less busy plain side. The homeowner had a bedskirt that was added to the bed to hide the storage bins under the bed. I know we can all relate to a master bedroom that serves double duty as storage and a laundry folding facility. When you are getting ready to sell, it’s imperative that you eliminate all clutter and the sight of under bed storage.
Finally, I added some bling to this bedroom by removing the ceiling fan and installing a glamorous chandelier.
Storage clearly wasn’t an issue in this home with two big closets. But the buyer is going to overlook the big closets and wonder if there is an issue with storage when things are left out in the open.
Visually clutter and lots of patterns cause visual unrest. It’s difficult to truly “see” the whole room if your gaze bounces around from object to pattern to more clutter and patterns. A tidy room devoid of a lot of pattern helps create calm. By removing most of the pictures in the room and replacing the mismatched bedside lamps, we were able to achieve a that sought after soothing environment.
One last thing we did was pull the curtains as far open on either side of the windows to let the maximum amount of light in. This trick also helps make the windows feel as large as possible.
I have to laugh at the above photo because the homeowner’s cat was really curious while I was photographing her home. She kept climbing up on the bed. The homeowner removed her from the room so we could continue shooting. Before taking this last photo I had fussed with the curtain on the right to make them look perfect. As I was taking the photo I thought to myself, “That curtain just doesn’t want to stay. Oh well.” After I uploaded the photos to my computer I saw why that curtain looked funny. Can you see it? Her sweet black cat was hiding behind the curtain.
Let’s review the steps we took to create a Luxurious and Serene Master Bedroom:
- Remove excess furniture (remember less is more). Now’s a good time to pack up a lot of your clothing and put it in storage. Leave your closets feeling spacious with less clothing. Make sure the furniture in your bedroom is truly bedroom furniture. Remove exercise equipment, desks or anything that could confuse the function of your bedroom. And definitely move any furniture that is blocking pathways or windows.
- Remove clutter. Everything should be put away and out of sight. Any storage containers under furniture or beds should be out of sight as well. Don’t leave your buyer thinking that your home is lacking storage areas (even if it does.)
- Minimize patterns. Let your buyer take in the whole room and eliminate visual unrest. Use plain curtains and bedspreads. Take down any busy pictures or art.
- Add bling. Swap out a ceiling fan or dated fixture with a stylish chandelier. Replace mis-matched lamps for trendy ones.
- Expand windows. Remove dark curtains and put up plain light colored or neutral curtains. Pull curtains open to let the maximum amount of light in.
- De-personalize. Take down family photos. Let your potential buyers imagine themselves living in your home.
- Paint. If your bedroom walls and doors look a little grungy, give the room a fresh coat of paint. Consider stripping wallpaper before you paint.
Additional Ways to Add Luxury:
- Add fresh flowers in a vase.
- Use luxurious pillows (fur, satin or embellished.)
- Stage your bed with a pretty breakfast tray to invoke lazy Sunday mornings having tea or coffee in this sanctuary.
- Add a soothing scented candle (like lavender or floral scent) in the room.
- Add a fur area rug under the bed.
Are you ready to bring the glam into your master bedroom and welcome those multiple offers? Let’s get to it.
Pin for later!